Most jobs in the industries these days are inclined towards IT management. It is a lucrative position and offers various benefits to those who opt for it. The value of human resources has increased lately. That’s because top companies have realized that human intervention in a project is the best thing. It removes the errors and also gives the project a human touch. That’s why most of the companies and industries maintain that a program management certification is essential.
Program management professional or PGMP is another valuable certification that can enhance your career. The PGMP is a niche certification that very few people have completed. So, if you get this certification, you will benefit a lot. The popularity of PGMP is such that many organizations are starting to realize its value. Although nobody will ask you for it, its presence will be much important for your hiring process. People with PGMP certifications have witnessed better prospects during hiring.
Why should you apply for PgMP?
There are several reasons why you should apply for a PGMP certification. First of all, it will upgrade your already existing skills. As it is a level up from the PMP, you will be able to polish your old skill and add new ones as well. It is definitely valuable and is worth it. The intensive exam for the certification will test you in a number of areas. These things will help you in the future while applying for jobs.
There are a number of people who can apply for the PgMP course. If you are someone who wants to start a career in program management, you should consider this certification. It will give you coordination and management skills that will enable you to complete multiple projects in a single time frame.
Consultants who work as freelancers will also benefit from this certification as people will take them more seriously. Nobody trusts a person who doesn’t have certifications. The PgMP certification will make people believe that you know what you are saying. Trainers and educators who give classes and lectures should also complete this certification. It will give them credibility, and people will also start trusting them more.
Prerequisites for the PgMP exam
There are a few prerequisites for the PMP exam that you need to fulfill in order to sit for the exam. Fulfilling these criteria will enable you to apply for the PMP exam without any problem.
- You need to possess a secondary degree. Or you can also provide your high school diploma certificate, associate’s degree, or something equivalent to that. The secondary degree is a must-have as, without it, you will not be able to sit for the exam.
- Applying for the PGMP requires you to have at least 6000 hours of project management experience. Or, you will also be eligible if you have a PMP certification.
- Apart from that, you also need 10,500 hours of experience in program management. That is a lot of time, and thus you need to have some experience before applying for the PGMP. You need to remember that the 10,500 hours of experience must be within the last 15 years or less. Anything more than that will not be considered.
- You need a four-year degree.
- Other than that, you need to have at least 6000 hours of experience in project management.
- Apart from that, you also need to have at least 6000 hours of experience in program management. These 6000 hours of experience must be within the last 15 years or less.
Things to know about the PgMP exam
PGMP evaluation occurs in two phases. To successfully obtain the certification, you need to fulfill the criteria in both phases. The first phase of evaluation occurs in the form of a panel review exam. This certification exam has an objective question type interface. You will be asked 170 multiple-choice questions. For these 170 questions, you will get a total time of 4 hours.
After the completion of the exam, you will get the results. Candidates scoring more than the pass mark will be considered successful PGMP certification holders. After that, you need to earn at least 60 PDU or Professional Development Units every 3 years to maintain your certification.
These were the prerequisites that you need to know about the PgMP exam. The certification will add a lot of value to your resume and make you a better professional.